My "why" — my professional mission — is to build organizations that enable their people (employees, managers, leaders, stakeholders) to live more fulfilled, integrated lives. I do this by helping business leaders create inclusive, supportive, and effective environments that result in organizational success and thriving teams — my "how".
My corresponding "what" — the roles I've played and the approaches I've taken — has been varied:
- I have advised executives on organizational culture through my independent practice, Orca
- I have coached and trained leaders on how to achieve clarity for themselves and for their teams via Talentism, whose own mission is to systematically unleash human potential
- I have trained and led discussions about Reinventing Organizations with the Teal Team, which I co-founded
- I started and led the Employee Practice at Medallia, where I helped companies harness listening programs to engage their employees in both the Employee and the Customer Experience.
Most recently, I joined the team at Lattice to develop the Advisory Services function. Making work meaningful, which is Lattice's mission, and thinking of employees as humans first, which is Lattice's ethos, resonate enormously with my own purpose. I have now been working on this why/how/what combination, at the cross-section of technology and organizational culture, for over a decade.
The path that brought me there was winding. It included tech startups, blackjack, a beer company (Boston Beer), a beloved Hollywood studio (Disney), a couple of social networks (Facebook, LinkedIn), a global management consulting firm (Bain), and a collaboration-focused business school (Stanford).
Throughout all of these experiences, I was fascinated by what made my colleagues feel at home in their jobs — and what didn't. I found that not only did there need to be an alignment of opportunity with talent, but also one of purpose with purpose, and of values with values. To continually bring their whole selves to work and to thrive in their roles and beyond, people require a set of circumstances that they can harmonize with. That’s why, though I have worked across a number of very different roles, I view their unifying trait as the constant search for a better life at work.
Notable Client Achievements
- Helped found, develop, and sell a technology startup in the EX space as CCO
- Founded the Employee Practice at Medallia, growing it 400% in under 3 years, and playing principal roles in winning such accounts as Comcast and Ford
- Coached a VP of Engineering through to being promoted to CTO, and on to finding his next role (CTO at a different company)